Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My First Baby's First First

I have a little athlete in the making.  I know what you are thinking: "Isn't that a little presumptuous at this stage?  Such high expectations for your one month old!" Well before you make any judgements, hear me out.

I don't mean to brag - actually, yes I do...isn't that what moms are supposed to do?

Picture this: half a dozen grown women (many of them mothers themselves) gawking over coos & smiles & kicks (after all its not every day that you get to be around a one month old).  Little Scarlett performing, looking back at all the nice ladies & soaking up all the attention.  One of the ladies, obviously impressed by Scarlett's athlete-like movements, decides to see what this young baby will do if they put her on her belly.  Scarlett grunts & kicks & the next thing we know, she is on her back!  The room goes into an uproar, one of the ladies hugs me & everyone celebrates this incredible first.  

I must admit I am a bit skeptical at first, thinking this is coincidence & am more entertained by everyone's reaction than my own child (after all I get to be around her every day).  So they pick her up & put her on her belly again.  Scarlett kicks & grunts & rolls over again!  And again!  My friends are so excited to have witnessed this baby book moment, & so early.  They keep telling me that babies this young don't do that.  And I now realize that I really do have a Wonder Baby.  She has done this impossible feat 4 times since.

I can look back at the series of events that have led to this historical baby moment & it sort of makes sense.  Hours of kicking & punching in the womb to leg presses with dad on the couch (baby belly down on Dad's chest, her feet pushing against Dad's hands,  army crawling up Dad's chest) while watching Sports Center.  & thus Wonder Baby is created.

So what does this mean for the future?  We risk the likelihood of a child that crawls & walks early, getting into all sorts of trouble before we are ready.  I've seen an 8 month old that could run, getting into everything in sight & not quite grasping the concept of "No."  Perhaps this is the sacrifice we must make & I realize that raising a Wonder Baby may not be so easy after all.

Please sit back & enjoy Scarlett's bigscreen debut:


1 comment: