Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Milk This!

Shortly after giving Scarlett a soother she started to bite me when I nursed her.  I attributed this to the habit she has formed chomping on her soother (& hopefully not teething...).  

So I am not sure what possessed me to introduce her to the bottle the same week, but I did.  Scarlett had a fit, as rookie mom made the mistake of trying to get the bottle ready only after she woke up very hungry.  So busy crying, she would not even acknowledge that I was trying to shove some foreign (but tasty) rubbery thing in her face.  Once she realized what was happening, the milk was gone before you could say "bubbles."  It was a strange feeling when I finished, I felt that I shouldn't be finished, that I forgot something & should wip out my breast at once.  I also made the mistake of not pumping the surplus, & paid for it for about 2 days.  

This creates a whole new level of freedom for me, the mom.  Although I have not used this opportunity yet, knowing that it is there makes me feel good.  I am allowing myself to plan things without worrying "what if my baby gets hungry right in the middle." A new purpose for dad while on his parental leave.  I have since tried to convince him to take over a middle-of-the-night feeding while I get my precious sleep, but have been unsuccessful in my attempts so far.

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky, Hunter had no problem with the bottle. But if I didn't pump after a "missed feeding"...boy did I pay for it too! The same thing when he started sleeping longer at night...I thought my boobs were going to explode! But I guess it all levels itself out eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've been slacking in the pumping department & now one of my boobs doesn't work. Guess I better get on the ball!

    ReplyDelete