Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why Wonder, Baby?


No, we aren't anticipating our child will have super powers, The title Notes from the Wonder Belly is more so depictive of the many unknowns that come along with being future first-time parents.  So, since we do not have a name for this he or she, I've decided to refer to it as Wonder Baby.  Rodd thinks I'm nuts.

I contemplate why, up to this point, I haven't gained 50 lbs as a consequence of the drastic increase in my appetite, & when it is going to catch up with me.  I am quite sure my motivation to bake & cook up things I've never tried before is a result of my cravings, but Rodd argues that I am "nesting".  Regardless, he reaps the benefits.  Ok, we both do.

As I'm sure every pregnant women does, I often do think about labor...the scary, exciting, painful, unpredictable, & surreal event that happens before our lives change forever and ever.  I try to prepare myself as much as I think I can with having a baby books & The Learning Channel but I know that it will be something I will have to try for myself to really know.  I'm not really worried (yet) about all the things that could go wrong during labor, it seems counter-productive to waste energy on such thoughts when there is not much I can do to change the future at this point.

As for life thereafter, I just watch TLC's Make Room for Multiples & it makes everything better, knowing that we are just having one at a time, & not 2 or 3 or 6.  I'll leave the title Wonder Mom to those blessed people on the TV screen (& all you other people that like to reproduce in multiples).

There is something exciting about introducing our very own hybrid into this world, a something that has never been created before.  To wait & watch to see what this he or she will look like, will be like, will like (imagine the possibilities!). Then if I decide I like the results of the first try, I'll consider making another, and so on.

The name game is an ongoing conversation (mostly one way) that we (I) have on road trips to pass the time.  For a girl that refuses to be called "Jessica," - my given birth-name - I sure have come up with a lot of girly girl names (I will not tell), & boy names are surprisingly difficult to think up - or agree upon...I suppose that's what I get for marrying a lumberjack.  I fear that if we do make a boy, this child will be referred to Wonder Boy, then Wonder Teen & eventually graduating Wonder Man before we finally make up our minds (indecision is unfortunately an inevitable trait in Wonder Baby's gene pool).

So now that I have invited you (whoever you are) into my deepest thoughts, you no longer wonder what I wonder & it has been made clear that Wonder Baby has no special powers (although at the rate of the kickboxing performance this little creature puts on in my belly, I do sometimes wonder).

I think I'll go have some pie now.

No comments:

Post a Comment