Monday, August 23, 2010

The Baby Budget

Today we were in the grocery store buying some last minute newborn necessities & the hubby was taken back by the price of diapers...I guess this is just another reality to hit us as we anticipate the arrival of our little package (which I suspect will come with a many many accessories).
 
A number of friends & family have asked what we need for our new baby.  Being this is our first, I have had difficulty really knowing what we will need, but now that Wonder Baby could drop any time now we have managed to accumulate what we think are all the basics needed to take care of a newborn.  However, I thought I would make a list of things we may need or want for the future, near & far, for anyone who wants to know.  I hope this isn't too forward (by no means should you feel obligated to go out & purchase something for us after reading this).
 
Wonder Baby's Wish List (only for those who really want to know):
  • Newborn clothes (I guess this depends on how ginormous our child is)
  • Sleepers
  • Baby Clothes Hangers
  • Diapers (of course)
  • nail clippers & other grooming accessories
  • high chair (thinking ahead)
  • Tupperware (thinking aheader)
  • play pen
  • jumper
  • baby blocks
  • discovery toys
  • Baby Einstein music
  • breast pump
  • change table sheets
  • baby meds & vitamins (maybe you already moms out there can help me out on what I may need in this area?)
In an attempt to not get caught up in the consumerism agenda, we have tried to keep our supply list down to the basics.  We have been extremely fortunate to have a number of generous friends & family members lend & hand down many of our baby necessities & as a result, so far this baby hasn't broke the budget.  I'm sure we will have our turn as our child grows into a teeny bopper demanding the latest brain draining technological trends in an attempt to fit in (lets face it, we've all been there)...if not before.  In the meantime, we have managed to put a bit of cash aside in case of any unanticipated surprises.  However as a result, my hubby has set his eye on a 40" Plasma TV, perhaps in the realization that soon he may not be able to afford one & does not want to miss out on this window of opportunity.  I have managed to convince him to hold off until winter....its a start.  I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jess,

    I'll bring you some diaper shirts and sleepers when we come see the baby...hopefully soon! Also, if you can wait a while for the Jumperoo (Aleena is just starting to use it now), then you could borrow ours when we are done with it in a few months.

    ReplyDelete